Sunday, May 30, 2010

All about Reading

I have never been much of a reader and I am making a huge effort to read everyday. No matter what it is. At the moment I am reading Twilight New Moon, and I plan to read the others.. In the mean time I ordered a few books online. A couple by Haruki Murakami. Ive already read a couple of his and another one called Love Letters of Great Men. Carrie on Sex and the City was reading it one time. You may remember this, she was in bed with Big and she was using his glasses.


You- my Life- my All- farewell
Oh, go on loving me- never doubt
the faithfullest heart
Of your beloved
L
Ever thine
Ever mine
Ever ours
s2

When I went to order it, there was a paragraph saying that the show just made up the book, and once she was seen reading it.. all these authors scrambled love letters by famous old men and made the book. I ordered it anyway.
Me being a huge romantic.. Believing in love at first site, eternal love, soul mates blah blah blah I thought I would post some of them up after I read them.

Here is the first one.

Its by Pliny the Younger, a son of a landowner in norther Italy. He had a career in law and government and when he died they found 10 books of letters. Nine to friends and colleagues and the tenth to the emperor Trajan.

To Calpurnia, his Wife.

You will not believe what a longing for you possesses me.
The chief cause of this is my love : and then we have not grown used to be apart. So it comes to pass that I lie awake a great part of the night, thinking of you: and that by day, when the hours return at which I was wont to visit you, my feet take me, as it is so truly said, to you chamber, but not finding you there I return, sick and sad at heart, like an excluded lover. The only time that is free from these torments is when I am being worn out at the bar, and in the suits of my friends. Judge you what must be my life when I find my repose in toil, my solace in wretchedness and anxiety. Farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment